|Developing the Gifted and Talented Students at St Peter’s School
Gifted and talented students attending St Peter’s experience an array of opportunities, all of which are designed to support and stimulate learning.
We identify the gifted and talented students as those who have the potential to achieve at a high level whether in the academic, cultural, sporting or other fields. We use various means of identification including self or family nomination, assessment data and other information from contributing schools or other sources and classroom teacher feedback.
Recent research points to the fact that gifted students do best in a supportive, ‘differentiated’ environment. Essentially this means that students are involved in learning designed to meet their needs both inside and outside the classroom.
Examples of the way we meet the needs of the gifted and talented at St Peter’s include;
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme including the Theory of Knowledge and Extended Essay (4,000 word supervised research)
- Multi-level NCEA programmes
- IGCSE Maths and Business Studies
- A curriculum including subjects such as Fashion Design, Dance, Business Studies, Engineering, Media studies as well as the traditional subject range, the full spectrum to ensure we meet the needs of those gifted in these areas
- Streamed classes
- The Key’s Club – a mentored group who engage with a range of lecturers, visit and experience various locations and participate in opportunities as they arise.
- Student access to a wide range of databases and Scientific Journals through our library
- Links with Waikato University
- Various competitions such as the Literacy quiz (Prep School), Maths competitions (e.g. Otago, National Bank, AMC, Waimaths), Geography competitions (Maatangi Whenua), Science Competitions
- Maths e- Club (extension club for maths students)
- The New Zealand Mathematics Association Development Band (top 5% in New Zealand)
- Science Fair
- Leadership opportunities at junior and senior level
- Encouraging and acknowledging entrepreneurial talent
- Extra- curricular programme with a range of cultural opportunities offered at the highest level. Tuition with performance focussed teachers/Annual Production/Dance and Drama Clubs catering for performance at the highest levels
- Academies in Golf, Tennis, Swimming, Equestrian, Soccer
- Elite Athlete Programme
- Extra- curricular programme with a range of sporting opportunities offered at the highest level